Monday, September 26, 2011

Crooning

Fork.  Recently we went on a mini-vacation to Los Angeles.  It was my first time in the great state of California (gasp, I know!), and I was very thankful to have a guide through that expansive and bizarre city.  Among the many meals we shared, one was at a little French bistro with an adorable garden.

I ordered poorly.  Enticed by the tuna appetizer (every now and then I indulge and order tuna, but I try hard to avoid it...very difficult) and a chopped salad, I went for them, and the tuna was really quite tasty.   However, after seeing a neighboring table's steaming bowl of mussels, I was overcome with jealousy.  I love mussels!  Why had I scanned past them on the menu?  At a FRENCH BISTRO no less.  The perfect place to enjoy those meaty bites from the sea.  Ugh and it would have been divine with the crisp and zippy Anjou chenin blanc we shared.  Fail.

Ever since then, I've been craving mussels.  So, I threw together this French stew of mussels, white beans, and sherry.  Topped it off with tomatoes and thai basil, and served it with a crusty baguette and a green salad.  As the boy put it, peasant food done right.  Imagine the French countryside in practical flats and a flashy scarf.

Mussel Stew with White Beans and Tomatoes

1 pound mussels, scrubbed
3/4 dry sherry
3/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 thai or other small red chili, minced
2 14 oz cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (or use dried!)
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1/3 cup thai basil

In a deep skillet or large saucepan, combine the mussels, sherry and wine.  Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over moderate heat until the mussels open, about 3 minutes.  Remove the mussels from the broth.  Strain your liquid and reserve 1 1/2 cups.
  
Wipe out the skillet and heat your oil.  Add garlic and chili and cook for a minute, until garlic just starts to color.  Stir in the beans and tomatoes, add broth and season with salt.  Bring to a boil, add mussels and thai basil and heat through.  Serve with crusty bread. 

Glass.  When I decided to eat mussels for dinner, my first instinct was to fill my glass with the uber-dry Basque wine, Txakoli.  But, the boy offered to bring home the fantastic Monts Damnes 2009 Sancerre made by Jean-Paul Labaille.  I happily and excitedly agreed.  I love this wine.  I know I know I know, EVERYONE lovvvees Sancerre, but this one is particularly special.

Jean-Paul himself!
Pause.  Let's talk Sancerre for a moment.  Located in the eastern part of the Loire Valley, this region is renowned for its elegant and bright whites, made with sauvignon blanc.  The chalky soil of the region brings a subtle minerality that balances nicely with the notes of orchard fruit.  Very food friendly, these wines are the most well-known of all the Loire Valley, and Labaille is one of the most highly regarded winemakers.  I particularly like that he still operates with the same time-honored techniques that have run the production for generations.  Peasant drink done well?  Not quite, but not far from it either.  

The 2009 is round and complex, light and graceful, fruity without overwhelming the palate.  Perfect with mussels. 

Play.  What is more romantic than the French countryside and a glass of Sancerre?  All of those things with some sentimental tunes.  He isn't French, but he can croon with the best of them.  Chet Baker grew up in Yale, Oklahoma and found himself in the army before his voice had dropped.  Thankfully, he never took to the military and managed to escape to a musical career in easy jazz. 

Just listening to his songs puts me in a good mood.  Sure, they are kind of corny and lovey-dovey, but who doesn't need a touch more romance in their lives?  Picture the French countryside with that scarf and those flats slow dancing with a dashing American from the midwest.  In the moonlight.  Sated from a terrific supper of mussels and a little tipsy from all that delicious Sancerre.  Perfect. 



No comments:

Post a Comment