Thursday, September 20, 2012

Harvest Suppers

Now that the two males in my life are very busy sorting, pressing, and fermenting all sorts of grapes day in and day out, I've taken on the satisfying role of making sure they are well fed, well caffeinated, and well rested.  This is the first week that harvest has felt more like harvest, like HARVEST, like how Daniel always described it.  Early mornings are followed by long days and dark evenings, and coming home to a meal and a glass of wine is what keeps you sorting all that Pinot Noir.  Believe me, after my shift at the market I'm happily helping myself to some much deserved wine and have already snuck a dip in the hot tub.  Yet I still feel spoiled for only working 40 hours a week, so I dream up elaborate ways to make up for it like creating my own peanut butter granola bars or cooking enormous pots of pasta for their lunches.  Pasta success, granola bars not attempted.  But honestly, I'm relishing my role as full on supporter and number one fan!  All evening I get thank you thank you thank yous and sometimes I even manage to get out of doing the dishes!  Really, I totally love planning dinners for the week and having plenty of time to myself in the kitchen to experiment a little.  

The key to these harvest dinners is to keep them easy and to always have leftovers - it makes packing lunch at 6am a much tamer beast.  Last night I broke the rules and made beautiful and delicious dishes, but each had too many ingredients and required too much attention.  The Moroccan chicken tagine I made the day before was much much simpler and a big hit.  Noted.


What I did learn was that making flatbread is awesome.  I've baked plenty of breads and doughs and crusts and they all lend themselves to different meals, but flatbread is one of the most versatile and satisfying little carb creations ever.  It comes together in 15 minutes and is baked in 12 and viola! the perfect vehicle for whatever dip, spread, cheese, or salad you fancy.  And once you know how to make the base, the possibilities are endless.  ENDLESS, I say.  I followed a recipe from Smitten Kitchen - Deb is a rockstar - and used rosemary and a bit of thyme.  Maybe you should add some minced garlic and parmesan?  Red chili flakes?  As I said, endless.  Personally, I'm kind of loving the rosemary.


Rosemary and Sea Salt Flatbread

1 3/4 all purpose flour
1 tbsp chopped rosemary
1 tsp chopped thyme
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup olive oil
sea salt

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Put a baking sheet or pizza stone in the oven to preheat.

In a medium bowl mix together flour, rosemary, thyme, salt and baking powder.  Make a well in the center and add water and oil.  Gradually stir together with a wooden spoon until a soft ball of dough forms.  On a clean work surface knead gently a few times.  


Divide dough into three pieces.  On parchment paper roll out each dough into 10 inch rounds.  Don't worry about the shape, it should look rustic.  Mine looked like Africa.  The dough should be very thin.  Brush the dough with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt (I used Maldon) and a few rosemary sprigs.  Make sure to push the rosemary into the dough gently.  


Slide parchment paper and dough onto the preheated baking sheet (I used a pizza stone) and bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until the edges are beginning to toast and the dough is fully cooked. 

Meanwhile, roll out remaining dough and repeat.  


My flatbread was served with roasted eggplant caponata, kamut tabouleh, roasted radicchio and plenty of feta.  All of these elements could have been made well in advance - the flatbread will keep for days if stored in an airtight container away from hungry boys - and would have made for a super simple summer meal.  Of course, I tried to throw everything together in an hour and covered my kitchen in herbs, lemon zest and flour.  The finished product was delicious, and now that I have this recipe down, next time it will be served much more gracefully.




No comments:

Post a Comment