Thursday, October 18, 2012

Too much zucchini.


October has snuck into mid-month at an extremely rapid clippity-cloppity-just-hold-on kinda of pace that has left me bewildered that is is indeed Autumn.  It doesn't help that every now and then Northern California surprises with 90 degree days that are filled sunshine and even a hint of humidity while the leaves are turning very pretty shades of fall.  It's confusing.  What I do know is that tomato season is coming to a close, sigh, and that I can buy gigantic zucchini at the farmer's market for just a dollar because they just need to get rid of them. 


I did this last week, fairly impulsively.  See, at my teensy farmer's market there are only two produce stands.  Tom has the best vegetables and I like his attitude, but I can't just not buy something from Lee, who is patiently waiting two feet away behind his own goods, which are really quite nice too.  So I always purchase something from both.  Last week I went for Lee's 5 lb zucchini.  For a dollar.  It was a behemoth of a squash, and begged for some creativity.  A challenge.  Stuffed squash?  Roasted?  Soup?

First, I decided to simply slice it into rounds, slather it with pesto and garlic and roast it in the oven.  Not only did I only use a third of the zucchini between three people, it wasn't that good.  Too watery and blergh and a little squishy.  I thought about stuffing it with some quinoa or cheese or something, but that all sounded kinda blergh too, so the remainder of the zucchini sat wrapped in the fridge for days.  I couldn't bear to throw it out.  I couldn't bear to cook it and dislike it again.  So it sat.

Until yesterday, when obviously, I had to make zucchini bread.  So easy, so moist, so good for breakfast or dessert or as a mid-afternoon snack with tea.  Chamomile.




ZUCCHINI BREAD with Yogurt and Walnuts
 adapted from many many sources

3 eggs
3/4 cup oil (vegetable or olive.  I used safflower because I had nothing else, weirdly.)
3/4 cup greek yogurt
1 cup sugar
2 cups grated zucchini
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour (I used 2 cups whole wheat, 1 cup all purpose)
3 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped (optional, but do it!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Grease and flour two 8x4 loaf pans well.  If making muffins, you'll make 24.  You'll need 24 paper liners.

In a large bowl, beat eggs and add oil and yogurt.  Stir well to combine.  Add sugar, then zucchini and vanilla. 

Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and walnuts.

Stir dry ingredients into egg mixture and pour into prepared pans.  Bake for about an hour, or until a skewer comes out clean.  For muffins, bake 20 - 25 minutes. 



The end result is super moist, a touch spicy, and really satisfying.  Next time I'll use a smidge less oil, perhaps half a cup instead of three quarters.  The yogurt adds so much moisture that the oil can be cut back.  The whole wheat brings a nutty, toothsome quality that I love, but if you wanted to use only all-purpose that would be fine too.  I found recipes that called for almond flour or oat flour, both of which are interesting but incredibly expensive and I just couldn't do it.  Luckily, this recipe makes a ton of zucchini bread, which will supply the men with an ample breakfast for the next week and took care of my unused squash perfectly.  Check and check.

Next post will be dedicated to ALCOHOL, promise.  I'll get into it soon, but for some reason I've had a mental block when it comes to inspirational wine stories.  Stay tuned with glasses ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment