Friday, October 10, 2014

Banana-Fig Smoothie with Kefir and Cinnamon


Hello fair friends!  This little family has successfully made it through the toughest, gnarliest part of harvest in wine country yet another year!  A round of applause and much cin-cining is in order.  But first, can I brighten your morning with a gracefully healthy smoothie recipe?

Since Daniel has been waking at the daunting and dreary 6am hour, I too have been rising earlier to get my coffee and breakfast in before work.  Not quite as early, don't fret.  I'm talking more like the very very civilized 7:30am.  Turns out this ritual is actually a luxury and I'm hooked.  The house is mine, the coffee is sipped with purpose, and smoothies just taste better when they are freshly smoothied (??).  You know.  I peruse all of my online haunts, catch up on emails (email me people!), and try to gear up for the day without rushing about too much.

The smoothie changes based on whatever I have/what is about to turn, but this new one is a keeper.  It is my first foray with kefir, the hip fermented milk drink that has all of the champions of pro-biotics going gahgah gulp.  (I originally typed bro-biotics there and think that would make an excellent title to a short film in which frat boys discuss the benefits of healthy gut bacteria.....)

KEFIR.  It's real weird tasting alone.  I can't recommend it.  Bubbly, sour, viscous milk does not a tasty beverage make.  But!  When blended with a ripe banana, a date, a few figs and cinnamon, you have a balanced and tasty breakfast smoothie.

Fun kefir fact straight from wikipedia: Traditional kefir was made in skin bags that were hung near a doorway; the bag would be knocked by anyone passing through the doorway to help keep the milk and kefir grains well mixed.

I unfortunately do not have a skin bag full of kefir at my door for knocking, but I do have a natural grocery store down the way with a whole fridge shelf dedicated to the stuff.

BANANA-FIG SMOOTHIE with KEFIR AND CINNAMON
serves one

1 ripe banana
2 figs
1 date
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup plain kefir
ice

Blend. 

Sprinkle with more cinnamon.  Serve.  

Best with coffee and the morning's news.

No comments:

Post a Comment