Friday, May 16, 2014

Sorrel Dressing with Anchovies and Capers + Spring


It's May and I need to do some serious spring cleaning.  Suddenly the house feels cluttered and dusty.  The countless jars of dried beans and pastas and bizarre flours that I'm never going to use are starting to make me claustrophobic.  The piles of books that I've been meaning to read teeter dangerously amongst a winter's worth of New Yorker magazines and countless volumes of Vogue - I was suckered into a subscription after a blurry red-eye trip.  2 dollars an issue?  How could I afford not to?


And this little pocket of culinary adventures has been completely ignored throughout the winter.  Don't worry, we've been eating and drinking and playing with enthusiasm, but the writing bit has been difficult.  I have plenty of excuses (and pretty good ones too!) - my computer blew up, my job has been extraordinarily demanding, and when I come home and it's already dark I just don't want to.  I'm an adult and I do what I want.

Nevertheless, winter is well in the past and I've got spring invading my kitchen.  Green, green, green and more green.  Peas and artichokes and favas galore!  Asparagus for miles.  That first taste of fresh spring produce is as delightful as that first sip of rose or the pretty flowered dress I'm wearing today, which hasn't seen the world since September.  Welcome back sun!  Welcome back pretty dress!  Welcome back me!

To honor the season with one of the ultimate spring ingredients, I've made the most delicious dressing.  Or maybe it's more of a pesto?  Could be a dip.


We have sorrel growing in the herb garden and I've lagged on how to use it.  The leaves are bright and zes-ty.  Some (maybe me at one point) would probably call them "too intense" but these people would be wrong.  Their lemony bite is an incredible addition to vinaigrettes, sauces, and even raw in salads.  It perks up the dish, pairing exceptionally with seafood, salmon, cream and eggs.  Here, I wanted something with a pungent tang to dress up earthy kale and roasted vegetables, so I combined sorrel with anchovies and capers for a saucy little salad dressing.  It wakes up your palate and clears away those winter cobwebs in one bite.

*If you don't have the luxury of growing your own sorrel, it can often be found at farmers' markets.  In a pinch, peppery arugula could be substituted - the dressing will be different, but still delicious.*




Spring Salad with Sorrel-Anchovy Dressing and a Soft-Boiled Egg
Serves 4

For salad: 

1 lb kale, center stalks removed, torn into bite-sized pieces (about 8 cups)
2 carrots, peeled and cut into two inch pieces
1 red bell pepper, pith and seeds removed, cut into one inch strips
1 avocado, pit removed, cut into chunks
4 - 5 radishes, thinly sliced
4 eggs
parmesan for serving
6 anchovy filets, chopped (optional)
olive oil, salt, pepper

For dressing: 

1 cup sorrel, chopped
1 garlic clove, smashed
6 anchovy filets
1 heaping tsp capers
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 cup (or more) olive oil

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. 

Toss carrots and red pepper with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast on separate trays in oven, stirring occasionally, until slightly charred and cooked through (about 20 minutes).  

To prepare dressing, pulse all ingredients together in a food processor (or use an immersion blender) until smooth.  Add more olive oil if a thinner texture is desired. 

Massage the kale with a few tablespoons of dressing - use enough so the kale is coated and beginning to soften. 

On each plate, place a heaping pile of kale.  Top with roasted carrots, peppers, avocado and radishes.  Add chopped anchovies, if using (do it!).  

Bring a small pot of water to a boil.  When water is at a rolling boil, gently lower eggs into the water.  Set a timer for 6 minutes.  When cooked, remove eggs from the pot and run them under cold water.  Carefully peel the eggs and immediately place one on each salad.  Top with grated parmesan and a few spoonfuls more of sorrel dressing.  




No comments:

Post a Comment